Artistic Inspirations

Thursday, September 04, 2008

I got to thinking the other day...

For as long as I can remember I have been an artist. My art assignments always got selected for art shows, I was artist of the month in middle school, and my senior superlative was "Most Artistic." I even went to college to pursue a degree in Art.

Well as you may know I quit schooling and turned my focus towards working full time while being young and married. I noticed that since I quit school I haven't been drawing or painting as much. It's all about what outfit can I wear or what colors to use in my new living room. Pathetic!

So my question is... what happens when you stop being a student and no longer have the constant inspiration to draw and paint? I think that is where true artists are born- when they don't have anyone giving them assignments- they have to think of it on their own.

So since I've been slacking I'm going to try something out. Every week I want to research an artist I have never heard of before, pick out my favorite pieces from their portfolio, and blog abot them :)

So you may have noticed all these beautiful bare breasted women all over my page! Not to be a lesbian or anything but these paintings are so amazing and beautiful to me. They are by an artist named David Bromley. One of his most well known themes is the female portrait.

What I like most about these paintings is the use of bold color. I love how the actual drawing of the women is so realistic but the abstract painting totally transforms it and makes it pop.

This artist truly understands the woman's shape and form. He has drawn them looking so soft and elegant, but then he paints with sharp brush strokes and edgy patterns- contrasting the two together so beautifully.

I can sense these women's emotions too. I love when a painting has an emotional reaction- it means the artist captured the soul of their subjects and made it into visually stimulating pieces.

Here are a couple other pieces from him:


"An artist's duty is rather to stay open-minded and in a state where he can receive information and inspiration. You always have to be ready for that little artistic epiphany."
~Nick Cave

2 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

seroiusly, keester, lets get you going again. besides, i need a new teacher dude. . . you should see the drawings i did last night, besides the fact they look like i was stoned, it was really fun!!

Leon & Patti Dea said...

put a bra on em. ;) I do like the contrast and bold patterns that integrate in the true form of the person. I remember you drawing intricate patterns with a pencil on the walls at home when you werre 3 and 4 years old. I wish I would have taken a picture of them. Remember the drawing classes at home with you and Alecia? Great memories! I still want to spend a day with the brushes with you painting whatever.

Love you always,

Dad

 

Gemini Queen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates