"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

So yesterday was a hellish day...

Me and Josh woke up to find our dog Sammy completely gone! He usually sleeps in our bed and I woke up and instantly knew he wasn't there. We searched around the house and looked in the backyard to find our fence had been messed with and it was on an angle, leaving some space for Sam to get out.

My immediate reaction? Well since he has done this a few times since we moved here I thought we would be able to find him quickly. He usually just wants to find someone to play with so we usually will find him at the neighbor's or closeby.

This time it was different.

Me and Josh first walked around the neighborhood calling his name. He was no where to be found. This, by the way, is one of the worst feelings in the world. I get completely numb. My head is full of worry and my only focus is finding that dog and getting him home safely.

We then drove around our neighborhood, squeaking his favorite toy and calling his name. Still no luck. I was getting really worried at this point. It was time for me to go to work and I really didn't want to stop looking. We figured if he wasn't walking around the neighborhood he must have been with someone. The worst part was that we had our old cell phone number on his tag so whoever had him wouldn't be able to get a hold of us.

After posting a KSL ad I figured I better get myself to work and let Josh handle it.

I get to work and tell Heather about it. She tells me to try calling our old phone number. I thought it had been disconnected but after trying it had been re-assigned to a girl named Heather. I got her voicemail and told her to call me if she got any messages about a missing dog.

I was trying to think positive while everyone at work reassured me. I was hoping that he would be OK while I waited for more information but something just didn't feel right inside.

Then I got the call back from my old cell phone number.

She told me that she was concerned because she got a call late last night from a frantic woman asking if she had a dog named Sammy and that he had been hit by a truck.

*heart drops*

*tears start swelling*

*SOBBING BEGINS!*

I didn't hear anything else after that. I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't stop saying "No, no, no!!!"

Somehow I heard the chick tell me that she would call me back with the number that called her last night. Since I was in such an emotional state of mind I called Josh, told him the bad news, and gave him the number of the lady that had Sam.

I started panicking. If any of you have dogs, you can relate to this horrible feeling. People don't realize that this dog is my CHILD! He is my pride and joy and I could not picture my life without him. I started flashing back to Charlie and how HORRIBLE it felt to hear he had died.

Worst. Feeling. In. The. World.

Seriously. I started screaming at the top of my lungs. You can't help but assume the worst! Luckily my good friends Hailey and Heather took care of me while I tried to hope for the best. But it didn't sound good. Sam, a little 7 pound wiener dog against a 10 ton truck- how can he possibly come out of that alive?! And if he was alive what the hell happened to him?!

My thoughts started racing while Hailey popped a few ciggys in my mouth and drove me home to get Josh, since my eyes were blocked with dripping black mascara.

On the way Josh called to tell me that he had gotten ahold of the woman. She said she was behind the truck that hit Sam, saw it all, and pulled over to see if he was OK. By the grace of God he was OK- just unconscious. She called Animal Control and waited with him until he got picked up. She said he had been taken to the West Valley Animal Shelter.

RELIEF!

I honestly couldn't believe it. It was a miracle. Sam was OK!!

We later picked him up from the shelter with a big fat $145 bill! God damn!

But... he is worth it :)

And I couldn't find it in my heart to complain. Sam was OK. The shelter had been taking care of him. The money didn't matter to me.

After getting micro-chipped he was released and I got to take him home with me!! No broken bones, no blood. Just some bruised ribs and a lot of stress and aftershock.

Since he was so small they let him stay with the cats overnight. He smelled like cat piss and it didn't look like he got much sleep so I took him home, gave him a bath, and he was OUT for the rest of the day. It was like he just wanted to make sure we were paying attention to him.

It was so good just to cuddle with him and watch him happily sleep. Life can be taken away so easily. I'm just glad he is still with us. We never want him to leave us again!! Hopefully our little man has learned a lesson. TRUCKS ARE DANGEROUS!!

So now we joke that he is like our teenage son that sneaks out in the middle of the night, gets all banged up, and we had to bail him out of puppy jail... hehe!

He is our Super Sammy now. Maybe he will be Superman for Halloween :)

4 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i was glad to drive your ass home girl. . . you would have wrecked and died. i swear. im even more glad that sammers is ok. that dog is a bionic dog i swear. . .

Nicki Swilor said...

I'm so glad he is ok. I would have been freaking out too! Poor little guy. And to have to stay with stinky cats! Better than the pit bulls though.

Tyler & Macy Kennett said...

OMG! Not again! I am so sorry Kristen but I am glad that little stinker is ok.

Heather said...

SO CUTE, SUPER SAMMY! I am so greatful that everything worked out in a positive way! Yeah for positive karma!

 

Gemini Queen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates