Movie Review: "The Young Victoria"

Friday, June 12, 2009

"A dramatization of the turbulent first years of Queen Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with Prince Albert."

I almost died when I saw that this movie was available to view online! Most of you know that I was named after Queen Victoria, hence the blog title, so I feel a tiny connection to her, but I've never really known her story. After watching this film and seeing some of the historic events she went through, I felt even more special to be named after such a powerful woman. I learned that her real first name is Alexandrina so we actually share the same middle name! She is also a Gemini born on May 24, 1819. She grew up an only child, her father dying when she was only 8 months old, with a domineering mother whom she refused guidance from after she became Queen of Great Britain and Ireland just a short month after her 18th birthday.

This film showed who the real Victoria was, a free spirited and strong willed woman who cared for people that were less than her royalty status. She was treated like a child, even after she was Queen, and many tried to influence her decision making, including her Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne whom she was rumored to have a relationship with. The movie shows the perspectives of Lord Melbourne and her cousin Prince Albert, who both are seeking Victoria's heart. She follows her heart which leads to Prince Albert, and they get married in February of 1840. They were very happy together and ended up having 9 children.

She reigned for 64 years until her death in 1901, the longest ruling Queen to this date.

(Learn more about the biography of Queen Victoria by clicking here.)


I just loved this romantic drama, I thought it would have been boring but it really captured my interest the entire time. Historic movies always show me that although it was a long time ago and their speech and the way they dress are different, underneath it all the emotions and drama are real and comparable to today's generation. The costumes were AMAZINGLY gorgeous. Although it may not have been perfectly depicted to its true history, I thought it was very well done as a whole. Emily Blunt is an amazing actress. I loved her in "The Devil Wears Prada" and was glad she got this role. I heard this movie was rated #3 for the best movies in 2009. Hopefully Emily will win herself an Oscar!

1 lovely comments:

Nicki Swilor said...

Hello Queen Victoria! I got my totally cute blog layout at http://template-mama-freebloggertemplates.blogspot.com/

 

Gemini Queen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates