Sisterly Summer

Thursday, August 21, 2008

"I do not believe that the accident of birth makes people sisters... It makes them siblings... Sisterhood is a condition people have to work at. It is a serious matter. You comprimise, you give, you take, you stand firm, and you're relentless...and it is an investment. Sisterhood means if you happen to be in Burma and I happen to be in San Diego... if you call me in the middle of the night, I have to come."
-Maya Angelou

OK so one of my favorite people in the world came to live with me this summer... my younger sister Alecia. She just graduated from high school in Connecticut and was going through the last summer with my parents before leaving for college in late August. In other words, the word on Alecia's brain was "PARTY" and the word on my parents brains was "CONTROL."

She had called me multiple times before coming out and was having a rough time trying to balance friends, work, and living with my parents all while trying to save enough money for college, AKA the transition phase. She pretty much just needed a break from it all so I suggested she come and live with me and Josh for the summer, get a job, and work out here. She didn't think it was a bad idea and after convincing my parents, she soon arrived on July 2nd with my mom who was planning on staying for 3 weeks.

Keep in mind, I hadn't seen my sister in about a year so it was exciting to see her!! We instantly bonded and spent a lot of time doing all sorts of fun things. We went to Park City for a day, went to visit my sister and niece in Ogden a few times, went to a couple movies and dinners, but mostly we just hung out and enjoyed each others company.

Two weeks in we finally found her a job at Einstein Bagels. The girl desperately needed some cash for college. I think she started understanding money and how a budget works and mostly about sacrifices.

We had such a blast! Josh started making friends with some of the younger kids in the neighborhood who were Alecia's age. They came over to party a lot and I think it was nice for her to be around guys her own age.

We also took a ton of pictures!!





Alecia fell in love with Sam this summer. They are best friends now :)




Visiting Amber in Ogden for Andrew's birthday. And we got to see Addy! I just love that girl. Her personality is shining brighter every day.






Smoking ciggys on the car rides.




PARTY TIME WITH MALIBU!!



Flash Face Kisses



Trying to be sexy.



Drunky



Fat Face


We colored a lot, I was so proud of this one!


We decided to go stargazing in my Honda through the sun roof. It was a blasttt!








Just yesterday I dropped her off at the airport. It was SO sad!! She cried and I didn't. Later at work I had a delayed reaction and couldn't stop sobbing. I'm going to miss her. A lot.

I will miss having someone there that knows me in and out, knows my flaws and still loves me anyway, can deal with my bitchy moments and forgive me simply because we're family. Someone that knows my past and appreciates who I've become. Someone who just GETS me. I'll miss laughing so hard with her that I cry and almost pee my pants. I'll miss attempting the "Dutty Wine", watching funny videos on Youtube, watching Sex & the City & old Are you afraid of the Dark episodes, dancing around my apartment like a bunch of retards, and singing every word to our favorite summer songs:



I'll never forget this summer. Love you Leash!!

2 lovely comments:

Heather said...

DUDE! Your summer looked way more interesting and fun than mine! Your sis is cool. I am sad that she had to go home, but I am also glad that you guys got to "go nuts" one more time in your lives before "growing up"! Savor the memories, and try to arrange a similar summer situation for next year! Love ya Girl!

Anonymous said...

see. . . this is why i love my sisters so much! im so glad that i got to party with you girls, we had such good times. im glad i got to know Leash a little better, shes such a cutie i love that girl!! tell her to hurry up and come back, we miss her already!

 

Gemini Queen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates